Sunday, September 11, 2011

Camping in Scotland

Hiya....so before I move on I have to do one big job, update you on our last few weeks in Scotland.  Camping....it was our first time camping since the girls!  I really wish i would of done this earlier....ill try to remember places, sites and the things we did. 

We left on 4th of July (the leaving BBQ with the Bains was on the 3rd, the 2nd is when Simon's Dad left...to keep you remembering what we were doing up to leaving)  We of coarse, didn't have everything ready so I think we actually left late morning maybe even after lunch.

Our first night we stayed at Resipole Farm which was on Loch Sunart....we drove out of Glasgow towards Fort William, then crossed over on a ferry - Corran Ferry which was a super small crossing.  I have always wanted to take that Ferry.!  Then Got to the campsite, unpacked the Tent, made dinner and got to bed.  So our nights normally entail...dinner at around 5:30pm, then bath, then Emma in bed at 7pm, then books for Cerys then bed for her shortly after 7pm  Emma usually gets to bed with no problems I just put her in her travel cot and leave the room.  So her outside of her cot, in a sleeping bag I didn't know what to expect but I thought she would be pretty easily.   I don't remember what time we actually got them to bed, which was me rocking Emma to sleep in my arms and Cerys laying by Simon.  It was quite late anyways, like 9ish....when we actually got them to sleep.  As you know Scotland in July esp going north its pretty bright out still til 10 or 11pm. no rain!  

Day 2 - we drove up along the coast to Mallaig and Arisaig to other places that I have always wanted to go.  so beautiful!  We took another Ferry over to the Isle of Skye.  So Simon and I went Camping on the Isle of Skye before children - we loved it!  So we diecied to go back, alittle out of our way of going up north of Scotland but thought it would be worth the trip.  the Campsite- Glenbrittle - Beautiful as we remember.  It rained just like it did when we were there the first time. We went of a wet walk, enjoyed dinner and a beautiful night.   Simon and I got the kids to bed, stayed up enjoyed alittle drink, played chess and had a good night.   The next morning I got up to go to the loo, opened up the Tent door.....got eaten alive by midges, so headed up quick after cooking our breakfast in the tent - loaded the kids up and it started to rain again. 

Day 3 - We headed off Skye, and drove north- our plan was not really a plan we would wake up in the morning, have breakfast (which was the best- Every morning Simon would make eggs, bacon and potatoes - we brought little boxes of cereal for cerys which was great fun she thought)  pack up the car...then start driving looking to our guide book - cool camping.  our thought was to head to a place called Scourie which was in Scourie pretty far up north (by Durness).  We did a good bit of driving each day, the kids would do some site seeing and take good naps.  Which is why everynight from now on we ended up just getting them to bed by going to bed also.  this day we thought the drive to Scourie would be abit to long, but didn't really have another campsite in the book that we wanted to stay at - there was some off route - that we started to go for but diecied that with our time we should keep heading up rather then go off track.  we got to Scourie probley around 4 and realised it wasn't want we wanted.  so we kept driving til we found another spot - we ended up in sando Sands...which was my favorite of this camping - I will post a good amount of photos from there it was so so beautiful - the rocks, the sea and the green Scottish grass - just one downfall.....so windy!  We didn't camp where we normally would cuz the wind but still a great morning when we woke up on Thursday to go for a walk on the beach. 

Day 4 - we left Sando sands, stoped at some caves - which were pretty cool!  Then heading along the northern coast to find our last night of camping. I really wanted to see puffins but so far had no luck, we tried to find them at this spot where I found out they were nesting but no luck!  Maybe next time....  we drove past some that will filled with caravans, and big sites that is not where we wanted to stay - we went to one, drove to another that was worse so in the end- ended up staying in Bora - which is by Thurso.  It was in a field not directly by the sea which is why Simon and I drove past the first time but ended up being a pretty quite good site.  It was our last night camping, as we wanted to spend some time with Paul, Ingrid, Hannah, Ruth and Neil - our Scottish Family in Laggan (this is whom we were visiting over New Years when Emma got a broken leg - they are wonderful family to be stuck with!) 

Day 5 -Stoped at Dunrobin Castle - to find out later at Paul and Ingrids, that Simons Great Grandfather had something to do that that Castle.  Unfortunley we were to early they werent open yet so We headed down to Ingrid and Paul's - we had a wonderful visit - which I posted photos in one of previous blogs. 

And we went back to good old Glasgow for the 9th of July.  Had a amazing - 5 days....cant wait til one day we can do it again.  hope you enjoy the photos

day 1 - photos
driving - glenco :)

First Ferry



Resipole Farm

Brushing



Day 2



2nd ferry


Isle of Skye

our walk






 day 3

tattie Bogals....scarecrows!


amazing beachs - heading north

sando sands!




checkin out our views in the morning

a

wonderful walk on the beach before we left

day 4
smoo cave





tuckered out Cerys

Puffin Searching

highland coo!

Bora camping


Tennents - a Glasgow beer to end our camping!



day 5
 Dunrobin Castle




Paul and Ingrids view....not bad - right - !

at Paul and Ingrids

No comments:

Post a Comment